School Resource Officer
In August 1999, the Muscle Shoals Police Department implemented the School Resource Officer Program. Our SRO's are sworn police officers who are also certified through the "National Association of School Resource Officers." These officers serve as liaisons between school administrators and various governmental agencies.
Our School Resources Officers:
- Provide law enforcement and police services to the Muscle Shoals City School System, school grounds and areas adjacent to our schools. Enforce state and local laws and ordinances. Make appropriate referrals to juvenile authorities and other governmental agencies.
- Work to prevent juvenile delinquency through close contact and positive relationships with students.
- Establish and maintain close partnerships with school administrators in order to provide a safe learning environment. Assist school faculty with efforts to enforce Muscle Shoals City Schools Board of Education policies and procedures. Assist school administrators in emergency crisis management planning.
- Maintain visibility within the school community and attend various school functions and athletic events.
- Work with school counselors to assist students and to provide services to students involved in situations where referrals to service agencies are necessary.
- Increase accessibility of police to the school community.
Our School Resource Officers spend the majority of the day on the campus of their assigned school. They also make home visits and respond to off-campus but school related criminal activity.
Thomas Marshall - Howel Graves Pre-School, Highland Park Elementary,
and Webster Elementary
Lee Nesbitt - Muscle Shoals Middle School and McBride Elementary
Gerald Smith - Muscle Shoals High School