Criminal Investigation Division
The criminal investigations division consists of one Captain, one Lieutenant and one Investigator. The objective of the Investigation Division is to identify the offenders, gather evidence, obtain warrants and present the case to the appropriate court. Assignments in criminal investigations include:
- Crimes against persons: Homicide, robbery, rape and assault.
- Crimes against property: Residential and business burglaries, auto theft, car break-ins and theft of property.
- Financial Crimes: Identity theft, forgery, fraud, felony shoplifting and fraudulent use or illegal possession of a credit card.
- Evidence collection: Collection of evidence at crime scenes, collection and transporting drug evidence to the forensic lab, and responsible for maintaining the property evidence room.
- Interviews of witnesses and interrogations of suspects are conducted for the purpose of building criminal cases
In order to successfully investigate such a diverse array of cases each detective interacts with members of the patrol division, detectives from other agencies, drug task force, Alabama Department of Forensic Science and the Colbert County District Attorney’s Office on a daily basis.
Captain Lanny Coan
Detective Eric Kelley
Detective Stacy Sutton
Detective Kenneth Vess